Close Menu
  • News
  • Politics
  • Arochukwu News
  • Abia News
  • Community Spotlight
  • Culture
  • Traditions
  • History
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Advertise With Us
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Sunday, August 31
Arochukwu Blog
SUBSCRIBE
  • News
  • Politics
  • Arochukwu News
  • Abia News
  • Community Spotlight
  • Culture
  • Traditions
  • History
Arochukwu Blog
  • News
  • Politics
  • Arochukwu News
  • Abia News
  • Community Spotlight
  • Culture
  • Traditions
  • History
Home » INEC Rejects Recall Petition Against Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan for Failing Constitutional Requirements
News

INEC Rejects Recall Petition Against Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan for Failing Constitutional Requirements

Nnadozie VictorBy Nnadozie VictorApril 3, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has clarified why the recall petition against Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan of Kogi Central was dismissed, explaining that it failed to meet the constitutional criteria.

In a statement issued on Thursday, INEC referenced Section 69(a) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), which stipulates that a recall petition must be signed by at least 50% plus one of registered voters in the constituency. However, the Commission noted that only 208,132 out of 474,554 registered voters, roughly 43.86%, signed the petition, rendering it invalid for further action.

“The petition for the recall of Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan has NOT met the requirement of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended),” the statement, signed by INEC Secretary Rose Oriaran-Anthony, read. “NO FURTHER ACTION shall be taken on the petition.”

The recall effort began on March 24 when some Kogi Central constituents submitted the petition to INEC, citing Akpoti-Uduaghan’s suspension from the Senate and the resulting lack of representation. Charity Omole, a spokesperson for the petitioners, insisted that the recall was necessary to ensure the district had an active voice in the Senate.

“We have come to recall her so that we can have a representative in the Senate,” Omole said. “We are here to tell INEC to follow the constitutional process for a recall so that it can begin.” She also claimed that more than 250,000 registered voters had signed the petition.

However, INEC revealed that the petitioners initially failed to provide contact details, delaying the review process. The Commission later confirmed that Akpoti-Uduaghan had been notified of the recall attempt and that the petitioners had supplied the necessary details.

In response, Akpoti-Uduaghan accused INEC of bias, claiming the electoral body had helped the petitioners correct errors in their submission. She also argued that the petition was politically motivated and orchestrated by the All Progressives Congress (APC).

“What I see INEC doing is aiding and guiding petitioners on how to perfect their illicit acts,” she said during a homecoming rally on Tuesday. “The first time the petition was submitted, they didn’t have an address or phone numbers, so INEC guided them on how to correct their submission.”

She further alleged that the petitioners, under the name Kogi Central Political Frontier, had provided an address linked to the APC.

Despite the controversy, INEC’s decision has effectively ended the recall attempt, confirming that it did not meet the necessary constitutional requirements to proceed.

Share this:

  • WhatsApp

Like this:

Like Loading...
Follow on Google News Follow on Flipboard
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Previous ArticleAbia State Government Officially Handover Renovated Buildings to Federal College of Education, Ofeme Umuahia
Next Article Lost But Found: Stranded Arochukwu Woman Finds Help After Viral Facebook Video
Nnadozie Victor

Related Posts

Barr. Nnenna Lancaster-Okoro Felicitates with Ogbako Umunwanyi Igbo Worldwide on 2025 Annual August Meeting and Inauguration of Abia State Branch

August 30, 2025

Federal Government Lifts Ban and Legal Actions Against Ms. Comfort Emmanson and KWAM 1, Set to Release Her From Prison

August 13, 2025

“I Will Employ Soludo To Work In My Company When I Remove Him From Government House” — APC Guber Candidate

August 13, 2025

Nigerian Soldiers Force Driver to Swim in Muddy Water in Enugu State

August 13, 2025

Father Rewards Man Who Healed Him By Marrying Off His 13-Year-Old Daughter To Him(Video)

August 13, 2025

After Meeting Tinubu, Gov Soludo Reveals Next Move For Security In Anambra

August 13, 2025
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Advertise With Us
© 2025 Arochukwu Blog. Designed by The Admin.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

%d